Sunday, June 26, 2011

Road Accident: Got a cut on the head

Last Wednesday was just like any other normal day. Everything around looked great, and at around 6.30 in the morning, I got my kids to their school for the day's schoolwork. As I made a return upon dropping them off at the school gate 3 miles away from my house, along the way another vehicle knocked my right-hand side mirror. Oh no, this is so freaking, an early morning close shave on the road. Call it one of those chilling road accidents... but no one was hurt as yet....

Immediately, I pulled off  the road  to stop. The other vehicle did likewise. Then I got out of the truck and made across the road to meet the other driver. There were about  7 people in that min-van. Some of them knew or could recognize me, for they called out my name....pleading "that was unfortunate," and that " Thank God it wasn't so bad". The folk besieged both of us the drivers to settled things down amicably ( a typical Kenyan dispute resolution imperative). Or perhaps, the police would even complicate things ( somethings are better handled off the Kenyan police hands).And after a brief conversation, we both agreed that we meet at the gas station later in the day so that we could finalize on how to sort out the damages - I had lost a side-mirror.  

Everything at the spot of accident did not take long, just a few minutes - if anything, 10 minutes at most. Then we bid each other "Jambo" ( an Okay), and I turned back to get back to my truck parked on the  opposite direction. Apparently, as I walked across the road ( a paved one) then something happened......can't reminder exactly, but only to wake up some 30 minutes later on a hospital mini-theater being ran stitches on the head. In the theater, all the people who were around me were strangers at most, but some knew me, and after a while I could recognize some of the faces.

The nurses at Kapenguria District hospital did a great job stopping the bleeding. At least, Thank God there was even a nurse at the theater at such early morning hours....The last time we were at the same hospital with Megan Green ( our Daylight guest staying with us now) was when we went to seek medical attention for Grace Kakuko ( a girl from Alale who has an ear tumor). We did not find a Doctor at the ENT wing of the hospital. And we had to go to Kitale Hospital ( some 30 miles away) to see a doctor, of which we were lucky to find one. 

As I came to learn later, as soon I walked toward the truck across the road,  I  got  hit and thrown up  onto the paved road (Lodwar- Kitale road) by a bicycle ferrying firewood to the nearby Makutano Township. And then, I had been helped to hospital by the driver of the mini-van that was right there at the time. I would meet him some two days later and he gave me a full narration of what really did happen. Hmmm, it would have been worse.....I thank God, I had His protection.....and honor and glory be to Him. 

I also wish to thank all of you friends for your prayers and support. I am getting better, and I will be fine. 

Below are pictures of me: 


   I now adorn a hat just to style up......and of course the cover bandage there on (on my lap is my cell phone that was also recovered two days later)

     What lies underneath the hat is the bandage covering the stitched cut on my head


     Without the hat......it looks like this....

    ....and this.

     Up close..

    For a while, I will have to get this hat on....at least keeps at bay: the dust, flies, and more so the questions arising from the curious passers-by

Again, thank you for praying for me and my family, it is certainly what made the difference. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment